Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

New Friends & Renewed Outlook

It's 9:50 and I'm about to crash, but just wanted to give you all a quick little update about the past few days.

I've been in sort of a funk the last few days, or maybe weeks.  I decided the other night that I needed to get out of it.  I was talking to Evan and he kept pointing out how abnormal I seemed.  I was just letting everything get the best of me knowing that most of it was preventable.  I was so behind on my devos and getting into the Word.  So I stepped up my game and snapped out of it.  I also got the Christmas present I'd been wanting for a while now: American friends!

The Americans came in the other day, 8 of them.  They are a dream for me.  All of them are awesome.  We all have been hanging out constantly the past 2 days.  It's really been putting my language to the test and I've surprised myself a lot.  I know more than I thought, or at least am capable of piecing together things to resemble sentences.  Either way, it's been great.  They started English camp today and it went great.  I get the privilege to be a part of it when I want.  I'm still exhausted but this is an opportunity I won't have again until summer rolls around so I'm going to jump all over it.  I'll spend the first week of January curled up in my bed hibernating until I'm forced to function like a human.  Basically, this group has been a huge blessing to me in the past 2 days and I still have another 10 or so days with them.







It has been absolutely beautiful here... outside.  Inside? Freezing!
I received 2 packages yesterday.  Also a major blessing.  The mail lady got so excited to give them to me.  It was a fun little, practically wordless, situation.  My cuzzo got me a little baby Christmas tree and I set it up on my coffee table right away! It's beautiful, just like her :)  I got some cute clothes from her and my grandparents also.  I'm quite spoiled.



THEN... oh man.  I finally took advantage of having keys to the dance studio and went over there on Wednesday.  I taught the lady I tutor for, her daughter, niece, and sister-in-law.  30 minutes tap.  30 minutes jazz/ballet.  It was lovely.  Then I stuck around for a while to just dance by myself.  I literally locked myself in, turned most of the lights off, and just did whatever I wanted.  Therapy.  Also, I'm super out of shape.  It was a sad reality check.

Today was my normal tutoring, but the kids were oddly attached to me... literally.  It took me almost 10 minutes to leave because about 5 of them latched onto my legs and wouldn't let me leave.  One of the girls asked why I had to leave.  They usually run out and attack me with hugs when I get there and then follow me out as I leave.  They're precious.  I always leave there feeling so lucky.  It's always a good reminder of the opportunity I have.  I am so thankful that I get to do this.  Getting back to that mindset when I've let myself drift is really good.  I need to stay there.

Tomorrow is more camp, my first real Chinese tutoring session, my normal English tutoring, and then some quality time w/ my lovely ladies as we close out our Harry Potter experience.  I'm so sad it's all going to end tomorrow.  Yep, I'm one of them now.

I can't believe Christmas is less than a week away. For those of you who don't know this, Christmas is on the same day for us: Tuesday, the 25th.  Just because I'm in China doesn't mean Christmas changes dates. (Love you mom! Hahaha).   The town has started putting up decorations and creepy Santas and playing Christmas music.  It's pretty nice.  It's starting to feel like Christmas sort of.

That's enough for now.  I really need to get to bed.  The group and I are getting breakfast on the street again tomorrow morning.  Steamed buns, weird taco things, noodles, fresh fruit.  I can make myself get up early for that.



Good night for me.  Good morning for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment