Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Jumbled Update

I'm still alive.  This week has felt like a million years. Or really just more than 7 days.  I'l try to tone down the drama.

I think I spent 90% of my week grading (there I go again being WAY too dramatic. Oops.). It never seems to end. It's my own fault. BUT it is helping me get to know my students so that's cool.

Other than grading I haven't really done anything exciting.  I bought a new mop. Yup. Things like that make me way too happy. My floors are the cleanest they've ever been.  As much as I have enjoyed my authentic 'fabric wrapped on a stick' mop, it was time for something more efficient.

I made snickerdoodle brownies this week. Another plus. They're all gone already. No surprise there.

Major highlight: Small group!!!!! We met on Thursday and this week I got to teach them about the Son. It was lovely.  I was definitely spoken through, because I don't remember half of what I said.  The girls asked some awesome questions and thankfully I was given the answers.  It could not have gone any better.  We had some pretty intense talks afterwards about what they believe.  We kept it all pretty casual which was good.  I want them to feel relaxed around me.  I told them I don't want them to view me as their teacher and they said they do when we're in class, but really they see me as a friend. *Cue the 'awwwwwws'* It was lovely.  We planned out some excursions: climbing the city's tallest mountain, visiting a tea park, riding bikes, shopping, all that good stuff.  They are brining over more food next week.  I'm going to learn how to make some sort of dumpling soup thing. Not sure if I've even had it before. So I'm obviously really excited.  Not only have I learned to cook for myself, I've already learned how to make several Chinese dishes!

Tutoring has been awesome this week.  The kids really like me.  They kind of go insane when I walk into the room. One kid is fascinated w/ my hair, my nose ring, my earrings.  He wrapped his arms around me this week when we took a picture and just tossed his head into my side like he was never going to let me go. Funny kid. The older group is starting to talk to me more... in Chinese.  It's pretty cool. Weekend tutoring is going really well too.  These kids are all just so cute.  Some of them can be annoying.  It's inevitable.  But I still love them.  I think I have about 40 that I tutor from Thursday-Saturday.  Plus my 130-ish students at the college.  That makes around 170 that I teach. Wow.

My Chinese comprehension has seemed to improve so much this week.  I'm understanding so much more than when I moved here.  It's starting to translate more into my speaking.  I'm not too shy about it.  I walk around saying things to myself in Chinese (in my head).  I just need to build up my verbs and adjectives. I'll get there.

That's all for now.  Just wanted to update those of you who like to stay informed.  Be yarping for small group next week.  Things just seem to get better every week and I can't wait for what's to come.  Sometimes I can't believe that I've been put into this position, but every time I think about it I am just really humbled by it all.  I miss home, but I am not ready to leave this place either. Good thing I have plenty of time left.

Wan an (goodnight) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment