Thursday, February 7, 2013


It's over now.  My beautiful 3+ weeks in America have passed and I'm on my way back to China right now.  It couldn't have been a better trip home.  It was SO much more than I expected in a very, very good way.

I was welcomed home after 30 hours of traveling by my family & Evan.  It felt so weird to see them in person and not through a computer.  It kind of freaked me out for the first hour.  After that I was ok.  I had my moments with other things though.  Target gave me my first culture shock moment.  I teared up while holding 6 boxes of mac & cheese.  I had another moment at Walmart when I saw their chip aisle. The culture shock I thought I would have didn't happen.  It could have been that I prepared myself enough that I didn't feel it as much, but it was definitely not like I was expecting.  Driving happened on day 2 and thankfully that went very well.  

My awesome sister got me a ticket for the Color Vibe.  It was my first 5k.  I don't run.  It's not something I enjoy.  I thought I would die, but it was easy.  It helps when people are throwing colored powder at you the whole way.  

I got to have lunches & dinners with people, coffee dates, random run-ins.  I made a few trips out of town to go visit people.  Had a few opportunities to speak in clubs and show some pictures.  

Jet lag didn't hit me!  I think I was so excited that I was running on adrenaline for 3 weeks.  I probably averaged 6 hours of sleep a night.  Right now I feel exhausted.  Part of that is from the 15 hour flight I just had and the holding back tears because I hate saying goodbye.  I landed in HK at 5:30 this morning (China time) and it feels like it is exactly that.  My day is far from over though.  2 more flights and who knows what else.  Rest will come... eventually.

Bac to my trip though.  My family took a little trip to SF and went to the Japanese Tea Gardens and the Botanical Gardens across from that (all in Golden Gate Park).  We, or I, had never been there so that was nice.  [The weather when I was home was incredible.  It only rained once, and for the most part was beautiful with cloudless, blue skies.]

My mom's side of the family came over every Tuesday for family dinners.  It was such a great way to see all of them multiple times while I was home.  The second week, my sister and mom helped me make Chinese food.  It was pretty good.  There's something about Chinese food in China that is just so much better.  I made the same stuff there that I did at home, but it's better there, or here I guess.  I am excited for my morning street-side baozi and my random jiaozi stops.  Mmm-mmm.

I had my first wine tour & tasting also.  That was exciting!  We went to this massive castle.  It was gorgeous.  That day was one of my favorites at home.  Almost every day was great, but that one was a little better than most.

I spoke at a few 'clubs'.  That was fun.  I think I'm almost over my fear of public speaking.  Hopefully these next 6 months will cure it completely.

I wish I had more time to see people and do things, but the longer I stayed the more settled I became.  I really wish I got to spend more time at the studio though.  It felt so good to go back there.  I even got to teach!  I can't wait to spend lots of time there when I move back.  After saying goodbye I walk out and see this.  Then they ran to the other door and waved as I drove by.  I hate driving and trying not to cry.  It's a safety hazard.  That's what they do to me though.

It was a good trip home.   9 more hours (if things go as planned) and I'll be back in LC and up to who knows what.  I'd like it to be sleep, but it won't be.  I have my camera on me though, so I'm ready for adventures... then sleep.  My body feels so confused right now.  It's 4 pm at home, 8 am here and I kind of feel like it's 5 am and I never went to sleep.  I slept about 3/4 of the flight here.  It was off and on, but 7 of those hours I'd just wake up to change how I was sitting (yay for window seats!!!!!!!).  The man who threw up somewhere around me woke me up though.  THAT was not pleasant.

Chinese New Year kicks off on the 10th, but might be starting tonight for me.  My goal is to get rest, and go find adventures (in a safe way, don't worry).  There will be posts to come and I'm hoping plenty of pictures to accompany them.

Thank you so much to everyone who paused their lives to spend a little time with me.  For those that I didn't get to see, I'm sorry.  Once I get home, we'll make up for that.

Keep yarping for my next 2 flights please!  And that I adjust back ok.  (I'm a bit worried that culture shock might hit and I really don't want that to happen). 

1 comment:

  1. Carole and I enjoyed your visit with us. Bracelets.